We recognize that institutions may need to annotate their resources with information that is specific to their institution and would not apply to all the institutions in the network. One example of such a description could be an internal billing code to use for a core service. It would not be efficient to include this information in the eagle-i ontology if it only pertains to one institution, and may in fact lead to confusion about the use of the field by other institutions.
To address this need, we are introducing in this release the concept of 'Institution Specific Annotation'. This feature will allow institutions to do just this by including an owl file in the configuration directory and adding two properties to the eagle-i-apps.properties file. These additional ontological properties will be incorporated with the eagle-i ontology only within the scope of the institution's deployment.
Please note the following
- The institution specific annotations will be applied to all resource types
- Only datatype properties are allowed.
- This is an advanced feature and we recommend that you contact us to assist in the use of the feature.
- This feature is available in version 2.0 and newer.
Visibility of institution specific annotations
This feature, if used, will have the be visible in institutional applications and will not be visible from the central application.
SWEET - Entering data
A new section will appear between the end of the standard eagle-i fields and before the comments and curator notes sections.
SWEET - Viewing data
If institution specific annotation has been entered for a resource, this will be displayed in its own section just before the Metatdata section.
SEARCH - Institution
If you have installed the institution search application, and institution specific annotation has been entered for a resource, this will be displayed at the end.
Any institution specific annotation that is associated with an institution's resource will be viewable from the resource's dissemination page
SEARCH - Central
Any institution specific annotation that is associated with an institution's resource will not be viewable from the central search application.
To use this feature:
- Generate an owl file.
A sample owl file with several datatypes can be found in our examples folder:
Only datatype properties are allowed.
- Place the owl file in your eagle-i configuration folder. This is usually
- Edit the eagle-i-apps.properties file and add the following properties:
- eaglei.model.jena.localSource is the name of your owl file
- eaglei.model.jena.localIri is the IRI for your owl file